Knowledge is the Food of the Soul

Originally published in the Informanté newspaper on Thursday, 28 January, 2016.


“Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It's shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.”

A prominent distance learning institution in Namibia has as its motto: “Education is the greatest equalizer.” And the Institute for Open Learning does not base this on mere wishful thinking – even the United Nations Development programme has “to be knowledgeable” as part of the four basic capabilities for human development. The Namibia Statistics Agency as well has recently reaffirmed that a high-school level education results in a much greater ability to be employed.

But as with all skills, there is a cost to have it developed. True, the Namibian government has made some strides towards its promise of free education for all, but it still needs a lot more resources to be fully implemented. And while this solves some of the problems for our future generations, it does leave the current generation with a bit of a gap. But luckily there’s a solution. 

The poorest and most vulnerable people should have access to information that is useful and relevant, and that enable them to not only understand their environment better and learn new skills, but also to make informed choices about their lives. There is a service that provides just this – with a mandate of free and universal access to information. The public library.

In their research paper “Libraries, literacy and poverty reduction: a key to African development,” Professor Kingo Mchombu of the University of Namibia and Nicola Cadbury point out that “New knowledge and skills are also crucial assets that can improve a household’s income-generating capability and reduce vulnerability to shocks, such as economic downturn, loss of employment or the illness of a wage-earning family member.”

“They achieve this through offering access to reading materials that are relevant, stimulating, enjoyable or useful. Pleasure in reading, which in turn helps to foster a lifelong reading habit, is often experienced in the library in which readers gain their first opportunity to pick a book of their own choice. Libraries are also important for providing practical information that can be used to facilitate development, whether for seeking employment, understanding rights, learning a skill, checking a fact or gaining health information.”

I myself can attest to this. Back in 1994, my family moved to Windhoek. At the age of 11, my allowance was barely enough to buy a book every month, and I’d read through it in an afternoon. But every Wednesday, after school, my parents would take me and my sister to the Windhoek Public Library. The first time I walked in there… It was the most books I had seen in my entire life! I used my library cards and those of my parents, and I got to read 9 books a week. 

Pretty soon I had exhausted all of my favourite authors, but curious to see if there was any I missed, I combed the card catalogue. And to my surprise, I found much more. One of my favourite authors, Dr Isaac Asimov, had not only written science fiction, but also other books – in the non-fiction section. Dr Asimov, as it turns out, had written over 500 books during his lifetime, and had published books in 9 out of the 10 Dewey Decimal Classifications. 

Of course, not all of them were in the Windhoek Public Library, but those that were I read again and again and again. Dr Asimov had an unambiguous and direct writing style, and he explained what he knew simply and clearly. Though his work I learned to love mathematics, physics and astronomy – as can be seen in Theory of Interest topics here on occasion. And when I write, I try to at least bring the same qualities Dr Asimov used to my work.

To this day, some of the books I’ve read by Dr Asimov I’ve not found for sale anywhere, but they’re still available in the Windhoek Public Library. By now, of course, the library not only provides books, but also internet facilities that I would have jumped at to have access to back when I was young. 

The work of the Namibia Library and Archives Service to maintain our public libraries have been exemplary, especially considering the amount of work they had to put it to have the library sector included in the Education and Training Sector Improvement Programme for Vision 2030. Yet it feels that too often the contribution of libraries are forgotten when it comes to fighting poverty alleviation. 

Sara Harrity, of Book Aid International, said, "The role that libraries in Africa could play in reducing poverty has not been sufficiently recognised and hence the necessary policy developments and investment in the library network have not yet been made. Policy makers and donors, recognising the link between poverty reduction and literacy, have given centre stage to textbooks in policies to increase literacy and student achievement levels. Yet textbooks are the beginning of the solution, not the complete answer. Libraries sustain literacy and do so on a reuse basis providing a cost-effective means of support for a whole community of readers who seek information for tackling their own problems."


The burning of the Great Library of Alexandria was such a loss to the common knowledge of mankind that it is still debated today what we lost in its destruction. Let us learn from that mistake, and not let knowledge be locked up only for use by the rich and privileged. Knowledge is the right of all mankind – and if it can even lift just some of our citizens out of poverty, perhaps we too can experience a new age of enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment